Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Resources and Recommendations (For Journaling Enthusiasts)

The New Diary, by Tristine Rainer
After many years, and countless journal entries, after checking out a dozen other resources, this is the one to which I return for inspiration.  It is the book that got me started.
The New Diary is a resource for the veteran journal writer as well as the neophyte.  It offers several possibilities for using a journal for your own purposes.  The sub-title, “How to use a journal for self-guidance and expanded creativity” captures the essence of this excellent resource.  Written in l978, it is still in print.  Check it out.


Creative Journal Writing, by Stephanie Dowrick
Another excellent resource for journal writers, whether you use a bound book and/or the computer is this 2009 edition.  Beside offering key principles, practical suggestions and helpful hints, Dowrick provides 125 starter topics to spur writing and several anecdotes of how people have used journal writing to transform their lives.  This is a fine addition to your writing library.


Harvesting Your Journals, by Rosalie Deer Hunt and Allison Strickland
          I have just started this book, so my recommendation here is merely for reviewing it to see if it could be of value to you.  I added it to my library because I was attracted to the chapter headings.  The authors have decades of combined journal writing and their book contains excerpts from their personal entries, as well as numerous strategies and exercises that the reader can use with one journal or a series of journals.  I most likely will refer to this book again in the future as I play with some of their suggestions.

1 comment: